Wednesday 27 September 2017

How I Fixed A Broken Window Blind for RM1.60



I bought a few such blinds from a popular furniture mall in PJ few years back. After a couple of years of almost daily usage ( up and down ), the plastic bracket on the "adjusting" side broke and the entire blind simply fell off. The part of the bracket that touches the screw broke off.




Note the red arrows

This is how it should look like
Went looking for a replacement bracket but unable to find one. After several weeks without a blind ( and countless ruined movie experiences ), i finally gave up and decided to fix it, thinking how hard can it be?

I realized very quickly that I can't make my own bracket because the "pin" that is attached to the blind mechanism ( the one with chain ) is square. Looked in my tool box and can't find any square shaped thing with the same size. Change of strategy.


Square Pin ( Red Arrow )

Finally, after a few days of deep thought, i managed to figure it out. 

I got a cheap RM1.60 mild steel bracket from a not that friendly hardware shop near my place and proceeded to drill several holes on the L-bracket and the Blind's Bracket so I can screw the blind's plastic bracket onto the steel L bracket. Like this.


Holes That I Drilled Marked with Red Arrows.
The Old carpenter's saying holds true here. Measure 3 times, cut once.


Note: Be very careful when drilling steel. Wear thick gloves. The drill bit can "bite" on the steel during the last 5% of penetration, causing the entire bracket to spin with the bit unless it is held or secured tightly. Don't ask me how I know. All I have to say is Handyplast came in handy ( Edit: Damn I'm old. Its Hansaplast now ). I ended up using pliers and wore thick Mechanix gloves. If you have a bench drill, even better.


Tada. End results. Did the same for my other blinds. 




The satisfaction.
UP


AND DOWN


So here you go. Let me know in the "Comments Section" below if you have any questions or comments. C'mon. Don't be shy.



You May Also Like

How I Beat The Heat Without Air Con

Make Your Underground Autogate Motor Last Longer At Almost No Cost

Interesting Character You Meet Selling Things Online





Share On

Follow My Blog

Lazada Malaysia

Comments