Saturday 23 September 2017

Make Your Underground Autogate Motor Last Longer at Almost No Cost

There are several types of autogate systems in Malaysia. The 2 main types i can think of for swing gates are the arm type and the underground type.

The underground type has a main disadvantage, namely flooding. I have an underground system when I bought my house 5 years ago. It was not working when the house was handed over to me ( flooded ) and I paid somebody to repair it. That repair did not last long, and 3 months later, flooded again.  =(


I opened up the motor assembly by removing 8 bolts, scooped out the water, dried the motor, greased the gears, used outdoor RTV silicone as gasket to replace the torn rubber gasket, and guess what. 3 months later, flooded again. 




Now, most homeowners at this stage would just say, screw this. I'm getting the Arm system.

Being the inquisitive guy that I am, and determine to put my engineering education to the test ( Also was a bit of a cheapskate. Hate to spend RM1500 the nice autogate uncle in his beat up iswara quoted me ), i studied the design and contemplated on possible water ingress point.





The RTV gasket was still strong when i removed it. Another place for the water to enter is through the shaft. A test with a water hose confirmed my suspicion. There is a seal around the shaft, but it is very difficult to access. It would also be difficult to source a seal exactly the same size, and who is to say it won't leak after 1-2 years since every time the shaft turns, it wears that seal down.


Simplified Diagram Of an Underground AutoGate System. Not shown (Bearings,Circlips, Motors, Gears )



The simple solution that costs me almost nothing.





Don't laugh. It works so well, been 4 years+ since it was last flooded. I had to open up the left side to change the carbon brush last year. Bone dry in there. Keep in mind the autogate is fully exposed to the elements, and used several times daily.

Do change the plastic every 3-6 months as UV from our sun tends to break it down. Much easier to change the plastic tarp/bag than to change the seal around the shaft. Obviously if it is leaking from the gasket or the hole in the underground casing where the wire enters, then you need to fix that first. 

So there you are. Will this work for you? Do let me know your views/questions. Feel free to share with your friends if you think it will work for them.


I promise more photos once i opened up the other side to change the brush. Will also show a step by step on how I applied RTV sealant to replace the rubber gasket. Stay tuned.



Share On

Follow My Blog

Lazada Malaysia

Comments